5 ways to tackle seasickness
It is believed that about 90% of people suffer from seasickness at some point in their life, although only around 50% of people will actually admit to it! It holds no prejudice to your experience, one of the most famous sufferers was Admiral Nelson. Some of us are more prone than others, but whether you’re an experienced fisherman, professional mariner, racer, cruiser or weekend sailor, you can still be susceptible!
Seasickness can put a real downer on your time on the water; you’re excitedly waiting for your maritime adventure and then the dizziness kicks in! We have put together a list of 5 ways to prevent seasickness so you can try to ward off that often debilitating feeling.
LOOK TO THE HORIZON
Often dismissed as an old wives tale, scientists actually back it – look at the horizon and face forward. This approach works best if you can find a landmass or object to focus on. It helps your brain restore your motion and vision, which consequently fends off the symptoms of motion sickness.
TRY SOME TRADITIONAL INGREDIENTS
Ginger has been used to treat seasickness for hundreds of years, it is believed to be the first remedy used by the ancient chinese. Raw, brewed in tea or in your biscuits, this traditional remedy is worth a try! If you’re not a fan of ginger, mint is also good for settling your stomach.
GET THAT FRESH AIR UP HIGH
It is said that the higher on the boat you are and the more exposed to fresh air, you are less likely to feel the effects of seasickness. Best to keep to the front of the boat or ask to sit with the skipper, usually the highest place on a boat.
STOCK UP ON MEDICATION
Seasickness is caused by neural activity, so there is medication you can get from your doctor, or off the shelf, that work by counteracting the effects of the chemicals released by the brain during seasickness.
Dramamine and Stugeron are common tablets to take – it is advised to take any medication before the symptoms start, and be aware they can also cause drowsiness, so it’s best to discuss with your doctor or pharmacist what options are best for you. If you’d rather not take pills you can get scopolamine release patches that sit behind your ear.
WEAR A SEABAND
Seabands get their concept from the ancient practice of acupuncture, they have a stud on the inside of the elastic to work as a motion sickness band. The stud places pressure on an acupuncture point that is believed to help relieve nausea and vomiting. Some sailors swear by these trusty bracelets and they are relatively inexpensive.
We hope these top tips are helpful in tackling your seasickness! The great news is that 75% of people eventually get accustomed to the sea and are naturally cured of their symptoms over time. For the other 25%….keep trying the above tips and hopefully that’ll help make your time at sea a more enjoyable experience.